Noisy-le-Grand features in the history of the 6th century because Grégoire de Tours mentions a number of events that took place in our town in his book "Histoire des Francs", in particular the assassination of Clovis in 583 and a number of monuments and remains still bear witness to its past. Amongst these is the existence of an important burial site from the early Middle Ages which led to a full excavation of a piece of land in the Rue des Mastraits when more than six hundred Merovingian and Carolingian graves were exposed dating from the 8th to the 11th century.
And also the church of Saint Sulpice, built between 1140 and 1484 , subsequently magnificently improved thanks to an ambitious restoration programme when, in 1779, viscount Alexandre de Beauharnais married the future empress Josephine. Nowadays, the school Françoise Cabrini occupies the site where they lived.
After the French Revolution, Noisy-le-Grand still possessed some beautiful town houses and up until the beginning of the 20th century remained a peaceful rural village where the main activity was agriculture. Between the two world wars however, the town experienced remarkable growth with the development of new communications routes and the building of housing estates and accommodation.
Since 1965, the creation of the New Town of Marne-la-Vallée has contributed to the development of the town and breathed new life into it.
The privileged geographical position of Noisy-le-Grand increases its power of attraction. Its proximity to Paris and its road and rail transport networks favour its growth. Bounded in the north by the river Marne and in the south by the Bois Saint Martin, the town is situated on the outskirts of Paris some twenty minutes from the capital by the RER A and RER E train services. Furthermore, its affluence derives from the balance between its 17 districts which bring together its old town centre, typical of the Brie region, its business, economic and commercial centre, and its residential areas.
Today Noisy le Grand takes pride of place in the services sector in the East of Paris region, it is fully involved with the projects of the metropolis referred to as "Grand Paris", it can assert its role as the economic capital of the East of Paris region, accounting for around 3,000 business of which 1,200 are small to medium enterprises, 77 businesses with more than 50 employees, many education and training organisations and 500 retail outlets.
During the Revolution period,
The calligraphy of the initial letters of Noisy le Grand, N and G, combines classical forms with dynamic elements that translate the economic situation of the town, leading service-industry centre and key town to the East of Paris. The “musical connotation” evokes the principles of harmony of Noisy le Grand with its clear aim to form a bridge between Noisy the modern town, and the more traditional Noisy.
Noisy-le-Grand Tourist Office
1, Route de Villiers - 93160 Noisy-le-Grand
Phone : 01 43 04 51 55
Reception and information fom Monday to Saturday from 9:30 to 12:30 and from 14:30 to 18:30