In 1060, Noisy-le-Grand passed from royal hands into those of the monks of Saint-Martin-des-Champs. In 1140, the monks began the construction of the church of Saint Sulpice which was consecrated in 1484. Defaced over time by alterations that paid scant heed to its architecture and damaged by weather and damp, the church underwent a full restoration between November 2011 and August 2013. Extensive repairs were carried out on the building in order to restore its original aspect: portal, vault, beams, choir have subsequently taken on again the appearance they had in days gone by. Windows were designed and created, a new bell, Marie Pascale, was cast in public and hung in the bell tower in 2013 and a splendid Franco-Flemish organ inspired by those of the 17th century was installed above the entry to the church.
The Pond is one of the last vestiges of the 18th century. It is typical of the ponds found in French-style gardens and is situated on a natural spring.
It alone bears witness to the Belle Epoque, the time when Parisians used to Noisy by tram to bath and dance it its ‘guinguettes’, the Marne remembers the tunes played by the accordions, the smell of frying food, fish stews and sips of white wine shared in a good-natured atmosphere.
Thus, the present-day Cabrini School is situated on Beauvais territory, one of the oldest in the town, dating back to the 18th century. The residence was inhabited by Joséphine de Beauharnais before she married Napoleon I. At the beginning of the 19th century, the Ormesson family set up a hospice there for children with tuberculosis. In 1920, Mother Françoise Cabrini, who belonged to the Sacred Heart congregation, bought out the premises and founded an orphanage for young Italian girls there.
In the 19th century, the building was occupied by the Desvignes family. It became the town hall in 1841 and was combined with the school until 1924, when it ceased to perform these functions. Different families then lived there until the municipality bought back the premises in 1985 to set up a Tourist Information Office there, which was subsequently replaced by the Tourist and Coordination Office now located Route de Villiers.
This chateau, built between 1863 and 1865 and owned by the Périac Buisson family, was acquired by the municipality in 1926 and inaugurated on 31st July 1927. Some changes to the building have been made over time including the addition of a staircase, a balcony and a clock tower. In 2001, the unsuitable and unhealthy nature of this building finally convinced the town of the need to carry out extensive works which took place between 2009 and 2012. Architects Chaix & Morel and Associates were awarded the project which envisaged a new development covering 11,000 m2, consisting of the historic town hall renovated from top to bottom and a new building with two wings on three levels. The building took shape thanks to the impetus and work of craftsmen from more than thirty trades. Some phases of the works were spectacular, such as the dismantling of the roof and the basic structure followed by their reconstruction. They will be remembered for a long time. This building, which is one of especial quality has been awarded High Quality Environmental Standard certification.
The Centre School was the first school centre built in the town and was established in 1908. It is typical of early 20th century architecture with its rubble stone walls embellished by two tone brick friezes. The pediment above the main façade has two medallions, one housing a clock with an enamelled dial and the other housing a barometer. The number of children rapidly increased due to the development of Noisy and the building was soon unable to cater for all of them. It was decided to build a new school in 1935.
The building is now a Music and Dance School - the Ecole de Musique et de Danse Maurice Baquet - and was refurbished in 2009 to provide sound-proofed rooms with the best of acoustics, a 500 m² extension, a 190 m² auditorium, collective practice rooms, and a dance studio with a chestnut wood floor.
This villa of neoclassical inspiration was built in 1869 by Mr. Brochard. Since 1945 the Villa le Lac has also been known as the "Villa Cathala" because its last owner was Charles Cathala, the senator for Seine Saint Denis from 1968 to 1977. In the year 2000, the commune of Noisy-le-Grand acquired the property in order to develop it as a Maison des arts et des associations (Arts and Associations Centre) as from 2010. It covers an area of 780m² and its park extends over some 9,000m². Over the course of a year, an improvement plan was put into operation: mosaics, panelling, moulding, and fire places were restored and attention was given to the standardisation of the windows, replacement of the balustrades, renovating the façade and the widening of the steps at the front, etc...
This extensive dwelling with all the appearance of a Manor House was built between 1885 and 1890 by a wealthy Parisian industrialist who used it as a hunting lodge. Its name bears witness to the importance of Noisy-le-Grand's wine-making past, Saint Vincent being the patron saint of wine-growers. It was bought by the Delaurier family in 1937 and was a working farm until the 1990s. It consisted of some 42 hectares and housed a lot of agricultural tools and machinery. A barn and a garage adjoin the mansion. The building, which was purchased by the town in 2007, is 1,100 m² in area and its adjoining park is 3,000 m². After redevelopment, it was turned into a leisure centre of the schools of the surrounding district.
The public baths were built between 1932 and 1935, and bear witness to a time when hygiene and hydrotherapy took on great importance. The Art Nouveau building is representative of the civil architecture of the 1930s: of brick construction with geometric and symmetrical lines, its outline is stark and it is only decorated on the main façade which is topped by a pediment embellished with a gold and red mosaic.
This monument was built in rue ballon to commemorate the five aviators who fell victim to an air disaster on April 17th 1913. It is just a few metres away from the place where the Zodiac XIV crashed after leaving the Saint-Cloud aerodrome and being caught in a violent hailstorm.
Noisy-le-Grand Tourist Office
1, Route de Villiers - 93160 Noisy-le-Grand
Phone : 01 43 04 51 55
Reception and information fom Monday to Saturday from 9:30 to 12:30 and from 14:30 to 18:30